YWCA Greater Pittsburgh
Awards Luncheon scheduled for Thursday, May 30
PITTSBURGH, PA (May 28, 2013): The YWCA Greater Pittsburgh will recognize seven extraordinary women for their demonstrated excellence and leadership in the workplace and in the community as part of the 31st annual Tribute to Women Leadership Awards Luncheon to be held on Thursday, May 30, from noon to 1:30 p.m., at the Westin Hotel, 1000 Penn Avenue.
Awardees for 2013 include:
• Allerton Lifetime Achievement Award: Peggy B. Harris, President & CEO, Three Rivers Youth
• Business & Professional Services: Justice Debra Todd, Justice, Pennsylvania Supreme Court
• Civic & Community Service: Cathy Raphael, Chair, Board of Directors, Ms. Foundation for Women
• Communications: Betsy Benson, Publisher & Vice President, Pittsburgh Magazine
• Education: Linda S. Lane, Ed.D., Superintendent, Pittsburgh Public Schools
• Health & Human Services: Candi Castleberry-Singleton, Chief Inclusion & Diversity Officer, UPMC Center for Inclusion
• Young Leader: Alka A. Patel, Esq., Managing Director & Senior Counsel, BNY Mellon
“I am truly impressed and inspired by the contributions these seven women have made to their professions and to the Pittsburgh community,” said Magdeline E. Jensen, CEO, YWCA Greater Pittsburgh. “We are fortunate to have such remarkable women as role models for other women and girls. The honorees are all deserving of the YWCA’s Tribute to Women Leadership Award and exemplify what the award truly represents.”
The YWCA Greater Pittsburgh launched the Tribute to Women Leadership Awards in 1983 to affirm its mission to empower women and girls to reach their personal and professional goals. Since then, the YWCA has honored the accomplishments of more than 200 exceptional women, saluting them for helping to shape the direction of our region and improve the lives of others.
The Allerton Award, named after the first president of the YWCA Greater Pittsburgh, Mrs. O.H. Allerton, was created to honor a woman for lifetime achievement. Mrs. Allerton served as president of the YWCA’s board on three separate terms; from 1878 to 1881, 1895 to 1896, and 1915 to 1916. This special award is given, at the discretion of the Selection Committee and with approval of the YWCA Board of Directors, to a woman who epitomizes the philosophies and concepts of the YWCA. This year’s Allerton Award recipient, Peggy B. Harris, is only the 12th such recipient of this honor since the inception of Tribute to Women.
Jennifer Abney, News Anchor, WPXI – Channel 11, is serving as Mistress of Ceremonies during the luncheon. Proceeds from the event benefit the YWCA Greater Pittsburgh’s programs and services. For more information about Tribute to Women, call 412-255-1261 or email email@example.com.
The YWCA Greater Pittsburgh strengthens our community by creating and advancing opportunities for all women to seek equality and self-sufficiency. For more information about the YWCA’s programs and services, visit
Director of Development and Marketing
YWCA Greater Pittsburgh
305 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
…for every woman